Thursday, August 2, 2012

Introducing Michelle, our American blogger

Michelle from the U.S. here! As I write this, I'm already in Kyoto, Japan attempting to fit in some temple hopping and get over the 14-hour time difference before the bike tour starts in 5 days. I'm not the typical cyclist on this journey. I'm not in the medical school, but am instead on my way to a Masters in Public Health. I work closely with the Iowa Chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility in the U.S. and am looking forward to meeting like-minded young professionals from around the world in Nagasaki as we cycle to Hiroshima and meet even more activists along the way.

So, a little about me is that I am a first generation Chinese-American. It's an odd feeling when I travel to Asian countries and notice that I am not the minority and can blend in,though definitely appreciate it when haggling at the market. Already, I have been mistaken as a local which has been an entertaining experience. I thought I'd stand out a little since I'm wearing athletic clothing and have a camera bag, guess not. At home, I enjoy rock climbing, cooking, talking about reproductive health, and planning my next adventure somewhere in the world. Traveling is a part of me, and I love immersing myself in a new culture. One day, I hope to visit all the continents, including Antarctica, maybe!

Lastly, one thing I always enjoy sharing with an audience is my perspective on the world and how with one change, it could be just a bit more peaceful. Everyone should thinks of himself or herself as a global citizen rather than an America Citizen, a Chinese citizen, a South African citizen, etc. We all share the same air, water, and world resources, so why not work together to sustain our environment?

See you next time!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment