Monday, August 13, 2012

Rain, rain, go away, come back another day

One drop, two drops, one thousand drops. Yep, we have another day of rain. Today, bikers must cycle approximately 90 km. I don't foresee the weather letting up any time soon, nor do I expect that we will see any sun in the coming days. It's great that our skin in waterproof, but unfortunately our clothes are not. Whenever there is a second of sun, I can look around and see everyone pulling out their biking shorts, shirts, and knickers to dry on their bike or back as we cycle and create our own breeze. We're loving the grey skies as it means cooler weather to cycle in, but we also want a bit of sun so our clothes can dry. I'm quite lucky at the moment. I'm sitting in the van as Ichina, one of Japanese drivers, and I run around for group errands as well as the mission to get me a translated driver's license. We have several fabulous drivers, but we wish to be able to to let everyone have a chance to cycle so some bikers like myself have volunteered to take charge of driving our vehicles. We have three vans filled with our cooking supplies, bags, and medical equipment. I must admit, I have been looking forward for months to being able to drive on the other side of the road! I think that it will make for an excellent experience. But oh no! We just left the JAF, a building in which to get your license, and though they were able to translate it, I had to also take a driving test at another location! That's not what the Japanese Consulate in the U.S. said when I called months ago! Unfortunately, we do not have time to also go the the Driving Center as we must finish these errands and prepare lunch for the bikers for when they reach the park. Darn. I guess I will have to wait for another chance when I am needed as a driver in a country that drives on the left side of the road. Next time. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride, 80 km! I already miss my cycling group and have only been separated from them for a couple hours. Martin, a representative from Norway, and I sing show tunes for our group. Cheers, Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Oh, don't worry, riding a bicycle is always the best; but riding in the van as a passenger is quite fun especially with a good camera. I must confess, though, that driving on the other side of the road in a foreign country will be a nice story to tell to eager folks back home. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clouds come floating into my life,
    no longer to carry rain or usher storm,
    but to add color to my sunset sky.

    ReplyDelete